amport ce (aided) primary school
Amport CE (Aided) Primary School has been open to pupils for over 200 years having been established in 1815 by Sophia Sheppard, a local resident and was endowed as a Church of England school in 1816. The original Victorian building is still in use and the site has had many recent additions or alterations over the last 30 years giving the school its quirky, eclectic feel. The improvements include internal refurbishment in the 1980s, two classrooms built, in 1999 to replace temporary rooms, another classroom in 2010, further refurbishment and the installation of a teaching kitchen in 2016, and the refurbishment of the entrance and offices in 2020.
The ethos of the school is embedded within the core Christian values of Truth, Trust, Forgiveness and Love. The school works very closely with the church where the vicar regularly delivers Collective Worship to the whole school and supports the teaching of RE, where the children have opportunities to visit the church to lead and attend school services and for RE teaching, and where the vicar is a governor of the school.
Our community links are strong where our children are involved in activities including the village fete, entertaining members of the community and beyond, with a special mention for entertaining the Benefice’s senior citizens. Our PTA too supports the school with astonishing vigour and passion.
Amport School accommodates 96 children when full, from the ages of 4 years old to 11 years old and has an excellent reputation in the community through providing consistently high standards of education. These high standards are regularly reported in both the local and national press. We take children from both our catchment area and beyond who are housed across four classes. We occasionally have spaces for ‘in year admission’.
Nicky King, Interim Head Teacher